10/28/11 through 11/4/11 Leg 3

While in Turtle Bay, because the crew and I needed to catch up on sleep, we missed the Baseball game and the ensuing party. That was OK because the next days beach party was more than enough! It was a HUGE potluck. There was beach volleyball set up, guys against the girls tug-o-war, music, beers, and one unlucky boat was silly enough to not heed Richard’s (the Grand Poobah) advice about anchoring too close to the beach. “Island Girl” (Lagoon 380) became stuck on the sand once the tide went out. Many hands tried to push and pull the boat out into open water, but the only thing that worked was to wait for the tide to come back up. Meanwhile, her bottom paint (and who knows what else) had to have been ruined by the constant jostling of the incoming waves.

Next morning, 10/29, with an 8am start time, Cat2Fold found her way out into the middle of the pack. As we were crossing the starting line “Profligate”, the 63′ Catamaran that runs the show (also a Kurt Hughes design -like Cat2Fold) took tons of pics of us as they motored around us in circles. One of the shots has made the Lectronic Latitudes webpage. The winds were decent enough that there was no “rolling start” initiated.
Trent, Charlie and I were all commenting how fun it was to be in the middle of the pack. So many boats in sight! …then darkness fell, and it became clear that it was WAY cooler to be surrounded by all these other boats during daylight hours. Having no RADAR on board (as a lot of boats do) all we could do was keep our eyes peeled! There were some close calls. Its amazing how quickly a tiny little light on the horizon can turn into a boat right on your ass just because they turned on their salon lights. That tiny little light on the horizon actually being a light on another vessel much closer than it appeared!
We came into Bahia Santa Maria early morning 10/31. I quickly got my paddleboards set up and started tooling around on them. Trent and Charlie went around interviewing a bunch of the different multihull owners. They used the dinghy for this. It was really nice having both a dinghy and paddleboards available aboard Cat2Fold. That way there is always an option to get off the boat.
I made my way to the estuary beach break. The waves were about 3 feet tall. For the first time in my “surfing career” I actually had a BLAST! Paddle boarding is the BOMB! I caught many rides in that lasted well over a minute (or so it seemed). I was even able to turn Dave from Lightspeed on to this new sport. Dave was/is struggling to learn how to surf. I could see the difficulty he was having, so I made him switch boards with me. While I sat on his board and watched, Dave was able to use the tremendous flotation and stability that a SUP (stand up paddleboard) has to offer and get a real taste of what surfing can feel like. I had SO much fun out there that I could hardly get myself to stop and go to the beach party.
The next morning the start time was set for 7 am. I was a bit bummed…
I feel like I could have stayed in Bahia Santa Maria for a month! It was just that beautiful!
For the third leg, the fine folks aboard Lightspeed loaned us a spinnaker to try out and see if we could get anything out of it. We tried all kinds of different arrangements. It really wasn’t the right size to use traditionally, especially with Cat2Fold’s freestanding, rotating masts. My favorite configuration was pulling it upside down in between the masts with both mainsails out wing-on-wing. It was quite a bit of downwind sail area and it looked wicked! The visibility forward was very good underneath it also.
I can’t remember exactly when, but we ended up catching another small yellowtail, then a 40ish” Dorado but threw it back. It was more than we wanted and our fridge was stuffed. However having some Dorado steaks just last night (11/8) I might have thought differently.
As we were getting close to the finish line near Cabo San Lucas, the winds went from light and variable (4-6 knots) to non existent (1/2 knot or less).
We had sailed the entire way up to then.
It was starting to get a bit ridiculous, but we prevailed and sailed the entire length!! We arrived at the finish line at 1:04 am, dropped the motors and motor-sailed to the anchorage in Cabo San Lucas dropping anchor at 3:30 am.
Leg 1=325 miles.
Leg 2= 215 miles.
Leg 3=160 miles.
There was also another 15-20 or so miles behind each finish line to the anchorage, putting the total distance traveled from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas at nearly 700 miles.
Because we sailed the entire course, we automatically tied for first place in the multihull division!!!
Thanks Trent and Charlie! Our Haha Hymen has been broken!

One thought on “10/28/11 through 11/4/11 Leg 3

  1. This is an amazing journey, one in which many can only dream of!! Enjoy…..I certainly am enjoying the updates.

    Take care and keep the news coming:))))) Karla

Leave a Reply to Karla C Michaud Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s