Charette Family Adventure-Legs 2 & 3 Bahia Salinas to Bahia Agua Verde to Isla San Francisco



After our morning spent on the beach (wearing rain gear) on Bahia Salinas, we decided to keep our train rolling. We upped anchor after lunch at 12:30 and sailed south toward Bahia Agua Verde, 29 nautical miles south. Although drizzling rain at times, we had a fantastic sail for the first three hours…then the winds lightened. With no other suitable anchorage nearby to change our destination to, I fired up the motors so we could make landfall in the daylight. Upon our arrival, we anchored C2F up at the head of the pack, closest to the beach, in the flattest, calmest water. We didn’t go to shore that evening, with everyone still feeling tired from the day (and night) before’s long sail.
Two boats left the anchorage early the next morning. At 8am, after we finished our breakfast, and about an hour after the first boat left, we sailed off the hook and out into the nicely blowing Sea. I was hoping we would see at least one of the two boats out there to have someone to chase down, and sure enough, there was. Having another sail out on the horizon to try and chase down can help turn a long boring sail into an exciting race…even if you are the only one who knows it’s a race. 😉
We were initially looking at sailing on a broad reach and staying outside of the numerous islands that dot the east coast of Baja. But, just like on our maiden voyage, the ride was much more pleasant, and every bit as fast, by turning deep downwind and surfing the waves head on. We were cruising at 8-10 knots with surfs accelerating us into the 15 knot range. Before this trip, C2F’s top speed under my command was 15.8 knots (on Jackson Lake-no surfing involved). Now, sailing fast is FUN, but I had some VERY PRECIOUS cargo aboard! I could not risk anything going wrong with G & B on the boat, so, after we hit 15.5 knots, I decided it was time to reef the sails. Like usual, I shortened sail, automatically going to the second reef position. Shortly thereafter, we topped our daily best by hitting 15.6 knots with the double reefed sails.
Not only were we absolutely crushing the competition on the unknown race course, we somehow caught and landed a skipjack tuna while we raced downhill.
The winds continued to build and by the time we reached “the hook” on Isla San Francisco, we were still flying with only one, double reefed mainsail up. We dropped the hook at 3:47pm.
Needing some time off the boat, we decided to brave the strong winds, and paddle board into the beach. This time all three of us loaded up on my one paddle board. After nearly dumping everyone right away, I managed to pull it together and build some momentum, which, just like on a bicycle, really helps stabilize the paddle board. Amazingly, we made it to shore unscathed where we met up with another family boat, S/V Sonrisa, and had a short but wonderful visit with Nick, Nell, and there two young boys.
Beo and G collected every piece of sea glass they could find, and then we all headed back to our respective boats for some dinner and sleep.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s