Work, work, work…

Nearly a week has past since arriving in San Carlos. With Cat2Fold awaiting us in the work yard the day we arrived, it was time to get down and dirty and get to work. Speaking of dirty, between all the sanding that we, and everyone else in the yard was doing, and the painting, and epoxying, coupled with nearly triple digit temperatures, every evening we looked like salt/dust/paint covered creatures. Luckily there are showers here on site. Not very hot, but it doesn’t really matter.

Although everyday seems to be filled with hurry up and wait for the current batch of paint or epoxy to dry, we have managed to complete many items that were/are on our “to do” list. The first thing we did upon our arrival was to replace the main halyards so we could safely lower the twin masts. With the masts down, we were able to add a masthead crane with a turning block to each mast so we can fly a spinnaker from the top of the mast,┬árather than only3/4 of the way up. We also added a custom “hole in the bow” on each bow to use as a padeye attachment for the luff of my new (used) drifter sail (see pics).

Genoa/Drifter Sail Attachment Point.

Unfortunately, when we hoisted the drifter to try it on for size, the luff was still about a foot too long to get any tension on the sail. So, unfortunately we will have to have the sail recut for optimum performance. There is a good sail loft in PV where we can hopefully have the work done for not too much $$$. In the meantime, it should work just fine for sailingoff the wind.

With the masts, and any other kind of heavy item removed from the boat, it was time to try and lift her up off the trailer to get some much needed bottom paint applied to the belly of the beast. We had been thinking of this process throughout the summer. Much anxiety had built up through the past few months. “Would we need to hire a crane?” We surely didn’t want to spend the several hundred dollars needed for that. So, after donning the thinking cap for a few days, we came up with a way to elevate the boat above the trailer without even using the heavy duty bottle jacks we brought along.
Using only the trailer jack, we lowered the front of the trailer until the hitch was literally on the ground. This gave Cat2Fold an ass up attitude. With her ass as high up in the air as physically possible, we stacked blocks at the very stern of the boat (to ensure a vertical bulkhead was there to help carry the load). Then, by cranking the front of the trailer back up, Cat2Fold became magically suspended nearly a foot above the rear of the trailer. We deflated 4 of the 6 trailer wheels which gained an extra precious few inches. Now we could reach well over 3/4 of the boats bottom!! Several days later, we reinflated the tires and essentially reversed the system, allowing us to access the remaining hull bottom. Now, Cat2Fold is sitting back on the trailer, safe and sound, with a complete double coat of blue bottom paint. Hopefully, the HUGE battle we had going on against marine life trying to make a home of Cat2Folds’ hulls last year, will be a long distant memory.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements